Friday 19 October 2018
Text size: A A A
Supporting
those who care

Bringing you Care News Today

Our Sponsors

Campsie View Care Home admits resident scalding failings

A care home has admitted health and safety breaches after an 85-year-old resident suffered burns when she was placed in a bath that was too hot.

Elizabeth Warrington sustained scald injuries to her hands and feet at Campsie View Care Home in Kirkintilloch in September 2009.

Four Seasons Health Care, which runs the home, admitted failings over its plumbing system and staff training.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, sentence on the firm was deferred.

The court heard that Ms Warrington was 80 at the time of the incident and has been a resident of Campsie View since April 1995.
Visibly distressed

She was born with a disability meaning she cannot speak and requires the use of a board to communicate.

Staff only became aware there was a problem with the bath when she became visibly distressed.

Ms Warrington was treated for three weeks at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and was discharged with no lasting effects.

The two staff members involved, carer Joseph Rae and assistant carer Jacqueline Mitchellini, were suspended following the incident and chose not to return.