Monday 18 December 2017
Text size: A A A
Supporting
those who care

Bringing you Care News Today

Our Sponsors

Death inquiry after man aged 94 found hanged at care home

TWO workers at a North Lincolnshire care home have been sacked and a third has been disciplined after a pensioner was found hanged in a wardrobe.

The Care Quality Commission are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death, which is not being treated as suspicious by police.

Philip Lloyd, the area manager for the owners at Southern Cross Healthcare, confirmed the resident had taken his own life.

"We can confirm that the resident was found hanged in his built-in wardrobe," he said.

"There was no previous indication the man was at risk from self-harm, nor were there concerns about his mental health from doctors or his relatives.

"Following the incident, Southern Cross Healthcare conducted an internal investigation.

"The investigation found that two members of staff failed to carry out the required night checks as part of our regular procedures. These staff have been dismissed without notice.

"A senior member of staff with responsibility for these two carers has also been disciplined and will have to undergo rigorous retraining and assessment.

"The failure of our staff to follow the clear procedures in place regarding checking our residents during night time hours is clearly not acceptable and does not comply with our usual practices.

"As a result of this investigation, we have been working with the Care Quality Commission to make further changes to tighten our procedures and ensure all staff follow them implicitly to maintain standards of care and ensure this case cannot be repeated."

Mr Lloyd said there would now be an internal hearing to consider the appeals by the two workers.

He said he could make no further comment about individual training until after the outcome of the hearing.

A spokesman for the Care Quality Commission said the death had been referred to the safeguarding team at North Lincolnshire Council to instigate an investigation.

Council officials told the Telegraph they were working in conjunction with the commission.

He said: "The police and the coroner are aware of the death.

"We await the outcome of the safe-guarding investigation and will then decide if we need, as regulators of care homes, to take any further action."

A spokeswoman for Humberside Police said: "We were contacted on the morning of December 9, reporting the sudden death of a man at the Bay Tree Court care home on Normanby Road in Scunthorpe.

"Police and ambulance attended and sadly the 94-year-old man was confirmed dead at the scene. His next of kin was identified and informed. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will now be prepared for submission to the coroner."

The father of one of the sacked workers, a 19-year-old, has spoken of a legal claim his daughter plans to take against Southern Cross Healthcare for alleged unfair dismissal. Asking not to be identified, he said: "My daughter had been employed at the home for only three months on a temporary basis. She had not received any training in the care of elderly residents on the night shift. Her dismissal seems totally unfair when the colleague who kept her job is to be retrained and assessed."

Source This is Scunthorpe